Saturday, March 04, 2006

Guatemala

We're here, after saying for days we'll be in Guatemala tomorrow, or the next day, we finally made it to Flores yesterday afternoon. It's beautiful here, a very small town on an island in the middle of Lago Peten Itza. We had what was certainly my best single moment yet when we arrived. We found a hotel with a terrace on the lake side, it was still baking hot at 5pm and the water was calling us. So, without further ado we sat and had an icy litro of Gallo beer, I fortified myself with a cigarrette or two and we ploughed into the lake (we were having a drink with a Swiss lifeguard - I know, all those rough seas they have in Switzerland - so don't worry about us swimming under the influence, he was ready to save us at the drop of a swiss army knife). It was the most gorgeous experience of my life so far I think. Okay so maybe I exaggerate, but we were so hot and dusty from the journey and the beer was so cold and the water was so sweet and cool, it was just magic. We're off on a rainforest tour tomorrow - three days of hiking and pootling round ruined maya cities and swatting mosquitoes, the itinerary says something like 'dawn jungle wake-up call' every morning and I don't think they mean that they've got a digital clock with a synthesised rainforest alarm. More when we return, ciao bellos and bellas,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home